Following the initiative of the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine, the interregional customs office of the State Fiscal Service has been created. The necessary decree has been approved today at the Government’s meeting.
What is this for?
The interregional customs office of the State Fiscal Service (SFS) shall enhance control over the operations of customs clearance points with the aim to tackle the abuse of office.
How should it work?
Employees of the interregional customs office will be analyzing risks in customs operations. If necessary, they will be able to visit any customs office without prior notice to intervene into its operations promptly.
For the period of such a visit, the employees of the respective customs office are suspended from duty. Employees of the interregional customs office take over operations in accordance with their powers.
For instance, the interregional customs office of the SFS is authorized to carry out full-scale customs control, to check data in customs declarations and cross-check calculated duties as well as to detect and to stop the violation of the law by companies and employees of the SFS on duty.
The creation of the interregional customs office of the SFS does not require additional manpower for the SFS.
What should be the effect?
• Effective crackdown on customs rules violations;
• More effective customs control over goods crossing the customs border of Ukraine;
• Better performance of the SFS;
• Crackdown on smuggling and corruption at the customs.
Other initiatives of the Ministry of Finance regarding the customs reform:
1. Automated system “Single Window” implemented at customs control and customs clearance points. Result: customs procedures significantly simplified, time consumption reduced. This makes business easier and removes opportunities for corruption at the customs.
2.Implementation of the photo and video surveillance of customs clearance procedures. Result: tighter control over customs employees and removal of corruption.
3. Mobile groups and a coordination center for the control of customs operations have been put in place. Result: random checks by the mobile groups contribute to tackling corruption and reducing manipulations at the customs.
4. Automatic distribution of customs declarations for clearance. Result: customs employees won’t be able to manipulate documents and choose consignments for clearance at their own discretion. It shall contribute significantly to preventing corruption.