On October 6, employees of the Inter-Agency Target Center at the Ministry of Finance and the Tax Police jointly detected a large-scale manipulation scheme for tobacco products aiming to smuggle cigarettes to the EU. Employees of the Inter-Agency Target Center seized approx. 450 thousand packets with cigarettes with the total value of 7.5 million hryvnas.
The Ministry of Finance welcomes this success resulting from one of the first large-scale operations carried out by the Inter-Agency Target Center which started its work in the beginning of September and launched mobile groups to fight the violation of the customs rules.
“I am happy with the first results of the Center which started operations a month ago. It is important to keep moving forward now. I am sure that there are a lot of such illegal transactions going on in Ukraine. Our task is to fight smuggling and to detect as many such violations as possible to eradicate corruption”, Minister of Finance Oleksandr Danyliuk said.
• the Inter-Agency Target Center is in charge for the permanent coordination of the mobile groups for the prevention and detection of customs rules violations;
• the Center employs representatives of the State Fiscal Service, State Border Service and the National Police;
• the analytical unit of the Center conducts analysis and investigations to detect risky transactions with the responsibility area of the customs and passes the relevant information to the Center;
• the mobile groups operate in the 24/7 mode on the entire territory of Ukraine and ensure rapid reaction to cases advised by the analytical unit;
• the goal of the Target Center and the mobile groups is to prevent corruption attempts by customs officials as well as by business and to increase the transparency and effectiveness of the customs control and other types of state control.