The project “Gender-Based Budgeting in Ukraine” (hereafter referred to as “GBB”) was launched in Ukraine in 2013, it is to be finalized in 2018 with prolongation till December 31, 2021.
The project is implemented with the financial support of the Government of Sweden acting through the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) acting to provide advisory support to the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine in the implementation of gender-sensitive budgeting in Ukraine.
Presently, this is the biggest project worldwide for the implementation of GBB aiming to increase the economic effectiveness and output of public spending based on the needs of men and women and their different groups. Systemic approach to the application of GBB at the central and local level combines the financial and social aspects of budgeting and contributes to the reduction of gender-related disparities in Ukraine.
The project includes:
– trainings, meetings and consultations on the practical GBB implementation at the local level;
– gender-based budget analysis, preparation of proposals and recommendations on GBB implementation at the level of local budgets, including proposals on amendments to the valid regulations;
– study if international experience in GBB implementation;
– information and awareness-raising activities.
In 2015-2018, in all regions (except for Lugansk and Donetsk regions where a different cooperation format is pursued) and in the city of Kyiv working groups were established as ordered by the heads of state oblast administrations which are taking steps for GBB implementation, including:
– gender-based budget analysis of programs (dedicated, budget programs) which are funded by local budgets;
– development – based on the analysis results – of recommendations and proposals regarding the absorption of gender aspects in regulations in the respective areas, programs, statistic and administrative reports and documents which are used in the budgeting process. The absorption of these proposals and recommendations will help expose the impact of budget programs on citizens depending on their gender, age, place of residence. It will also make it possible to measure the impact of these budget programs on the reduction of gender-related disparities;
– various activities aimed to raise awareness of GBB among the other participants of the budgeting process.
In 2015-2018, 85 programs were analyzed (2015 – 11 programs, 2016 – 23 programs, 2017 – 25 programs, 2018 – 26 programs) in the fields of education and science, healthcare, social welfare and social care, culture and arts, youth policy and sports.
In the said period, the programs were subject to analysis in 45 spending areas of the local budgets (vocational technical education, sports for children and youth, prevention and treatment of cardio-vascular and brain diseases etc.).
In four years, the Ministry of Education and Science, the Ministry for Social Policy, the Ministry for Youth and Sports and the State Statistical Service followed recommendations from the regional working groups and made numerous amendments to the administrative and statistical reports as well as regulations in different areas aiming to consider gender aspects.
With the support of the project, the department for local budgets and sectorial departments of the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine processed the proposals of the working groups from the GBB regions regarding amendments and inclusion of gender aspects prior to the consolidation of planned and actual indicators for entities funded from the local budgets.
To measure support in the regions and changes in the budgetary documents in regard to gender aspects, the passports of the budget programs approved for 2018 were analyzed in regard to the inclusion of the proposals and recommendations prepared on the basis of the gender-oriented budget analysis of the programs conducted in 2017. The analysis made it clear that 60 passports of budget programs funded from the local budgets for 2018 contain recommendations of the working groups regarding the absorption of gender aspects. These are clear indicators of changes which took place after the gender-oriented analysis of the respective budget programs.
In 2018, the project extended its area of operation to cover cities of regional significance, districts and amalgamated hromadas aiming to completely integrate the gender-oriented budgeting method in the budgetary process at the local level, which shall contribute to the principle of the integrity of the budgetary system. Trainings for the representatives of these administrative-territorial units have already taken place in Chernivtsi region and in the city of Kyiv (for the employees of district administrations in the city of Kyiv). Other regions are planned to be involved in the second half of 2018 as well as in 2019-2021.
In 2017-2018, the School of GBB Trainers was active. Its trainers are public servants who transmit basic knowledge and skills in budget planning and conduct trainings in gender-oriented budgeting for the participants of the budgetary process.
The project supports the publication of the digests “Men and Women” in regions. In 2015, these digests were published in five regions; in 2016 – in six regions; in 2017 – in seven regions; in 2018 – in 10 regions.